Passport and Visa Information

Current Processing Times for U.S. Passport Applications

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the Department of Treasury-operated Citibank lockboxes are two key service providers involved with the front-end of passport applications.  Both have been experiencing operational issues resulting in delays.

I encourage you to apply at least six months in advance of your planned departure date and familiarize yourself with the application timelines below: 

Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day a customer submits their application to the day they receive a new passport.  The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for application processing and up to six weeks for mailing times on the front and back end. 

Expedited service can take up to 12 weeks from the day a customer submits their application to the day they receive a new passport.  The 12-week timeframe includes up to six weeks for application processing and up to six weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.

Important Passport Information

Effective January 8, 2007, the Department of State began implementing the first phase of the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" affecting travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.  As of January 8, 2007, and after, you MUST have a passport for all air and sea travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Bermuda, and Central and South America. Please refer to the Department of State website for additional information:

The Passport Services Office provides information and services to American citizens about how to obtain, replace, or change a passport. A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.

**Please note that passports expiring within six months may disrupt travel.**

New Application for a U.S. Passport

To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to one of  8,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license.

Acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. There are also 13 regional passport agencies, and 1 Gateway City Agency, which serve customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel.  Appointments are required in such cases.

You’ll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time:  if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16; or if your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen.

For more information on getting a new passport, please click here.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport

You can renew by mail if:

Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; 
You received the passport within the past 15 years; 
You were over age 16 when it was issued; 
You still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.

You can get a passport renewal application form by downloading it from this site.

If your passport has been, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person.

For more information on how to renew a passport, please click: here.


For information on Visas for Americans, Visas for Foreign Citizens, Visa Bulletins, Exchange Visitor (J) Visas, Visa Waiver Programs, and Visa Forms, please click here.

Travel Advisories

For information including important tips, advisories on travel in specific countries, and contact info for embassies, please visit:

Contacting My Staff

Please click here to contact my state staff regarding further information on obtaining your passport or visa.

Note: My office is unable to obtain passports needed for immediate travel but is happy to assist with securing a passport in a timely manner.