Mar 21 2005

SHELBY ANNOUNCES OVER $2.6 MILLION FOR THE CITY OF MONTGOMERY

U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL) today announced that the City of Montgomery will receive $2,602,387 in federal disaster funds as reimbursement for part of the cost of debris removal in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan. These funds will be administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

The $2.6 million grant represents a 90 percent federal share of project costs. The remaining 10 percent will be covered on a 10 percent state cost-share basis. Additional Public Assistance grants will be announced in the 51 designated eligible counties as the recovery continues.

Sen. Shelby said, “I am pleased to announce that the City of Montgomery will receive this much deserved funding as a result of the devastation caused by Hurricane Ivan. These funds are critical for our communities to recover and rebuild to pre-hurricane operation levels."