Feb 09 2005
Students from Madison and Morgan Counties have been Nominated
Senator Shelby said, “Furthering one’s education at our nation’s service academies is remarkable. These students have shown exemplary performance in the classroom and in their extracurricular activities. The selection process for the academies is extremely competitive, and I was pleased to have been able to nominate a number of students from Madison and Morgan Counties.”
Service academy nominees must be residents of Alabama and must complete the required ACT and SAT exams. Applicants are also required to provide letters of recommendation, their school transcript, completed medical examination, and the required application form.
The following Madison and Morgan County students have been nominated:
- James Rushen, son of Jim and Donna Rushen of Hartselle, and a student at Hartselle High School, has been nominated to the United States Merchant Marine Academy.
- Hunter Leo, son of Jada and Kate Leo of Huntsville, and a student at Catholic High School, has been nominated to the United States Naval Academy.
- Daniel Stayton, son of Steven Stayton and Connie Mullaley of New Market, and a student at Buckhorn High School, has been nominated to the United States Naval Academy and the United States Military Academy.
- Andrew Jones, son of Gerald Jr. and Cherry Jones of Huntsville, and a student at Virgil Grissom High School, has been nominated to the United States Military Academy.
- Dereck Kennedy, son of Gary and Marcie Kennedy of Madison, and a student at Bob Jones High School, has been nominated to the United States Military Academy.
Although Senator Shelby nominated these students, the academy to which they were nominated will make the final selection.