The funds will be awarded as follows:
- $8,867,000 for a Community Development Block Grants. This allows state and local governments to develop urban communities by providing housing and economic opportunities for low and moderate-income individuals.
- $296,915 for the Emergency Shelter Grant Program. This program provides grants to state, local and private entities to improve the quality and number of emergency homeless shelters.
- $2,347,512 for the HOME Investment Partnership. This program helps expand affordable housing opportunities for low and very low-income families by providing grants to state and local governments to fund housing programs to meet the needs and priorities of the local community.
- $247,982 for the American Dream Downpayment Initiative. These funds will promote home ownership opportunities by providing necessary resources for downpayment and closing cost assistance to low-income households.
- $520,000 for Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS. This program provides housing assistance to state and local governments and non-profit organizations for projects that benefit low-income persons with HIV/AIDS and their families.
Senator Shelby said, “I am pleased to announce over $12 million for these important home ownership programs in Jefferson County. These grants will provide more low-income families in the area with the opportunity to own a home and achieve a piece of the American dream.”