Apr 13 2004

SHELBY ANNOUNCES OVER $1 MILLION FOR CARBON HILL DEBRIS REMOVAL

U.S. Senator Richard C. Shelby (R-AL) today announced that the city of Carbon Hill will receive $1,245,033 from the U. S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to assist with the removal of debris caused by storms and tornadoes in November, 2002.

The federal funds are part of FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) program. Public Assistance is available to state and local governments and can fund the repair, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of a public facility or infrastructure, which is damaged or destroyed by a disaster.

The $1,245,033 of federal funds account for 75% of the overall costs of the debris removal project. The remaining 25% will be provided by state and local government.

Sen. Shelby said, “Last November, twenty-nine of Alabama’s counties experienced serious damage by severe storms and tornadoes. I am pleased that FEMA has awarded these funds to Carbon Hill to aid in their recovery from this disaster.”