Mar 21 2005

SHELBY ANNOUNCES OVER $2 MILLION FOR THE ALABAMA STATE MILITARY DEPARTMENT

U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL) today announced that the Alabama State Military Department will receive $2,395,121 in federal disaster funds as reimbursement for part of the cost of emergency protective measures in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan. These funds will be administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

The $2.4 million grant represents a 90 percent federal share of project costs. The remaining 10 percent will be covered on a 10 percent state cost-share basis. Additional Public Assistance grants will be announced in the 51 designated eligible counties as the recovery continues.

Sen. Shelby said, “I am pleased to announce that the Alabama State Military Department will receive this much deserved funding as a result of the damage caused by Hurricane Ivan. These funds will help the Alabama State Military Department cope with the financial hardship that follows such a devastating storm."