WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) today announced that he has nominated 50 students from across the state of Alabama to attend United States service academies, including 13 from Jefferson County. Service academies include the U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Military Academy, and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
The following high school students from Jefferson County were nominated to the U.S. Naval Academy:
- Drake Ethan Brown of Hueytown, Alabama – the son of Donna Jordan and Derek Brown and a student at Hueytown High School.
- William Jackson Bryant, IV, of Vestavia Hills, Alabama – the son of Kirsten and William Jackson Bryant, III, and a student at Vestavia Hills High School.
- Benjamin Loren Fu of Mountain Brook, Alabama – the son of Nanlan Lluo and Yuchang Fu and a student at Mountain Brook High School.
- Charles Samuel Hendrix of Birmingham, Alabama – the son of Elizabeth and Charles Hendrix and a student at Evangel Christian School.
- Amy Jackson of Vestavia Hills, Alabama – the daughter of Amy and Roger Jackson and a student at Vestavia Hills High School.
- Alec James Johnston of Mountain Brook, Alabama – the son of Shelby and James Johnston and a student at Mountain Brook High School.
- Madelyn Elisabeth Leverette of Hueytown, Alabama – the daughter of Melissa Caffee and Billy Leverette and a student at Hueytown High School.
- James Crawford Outland of Birmingham, Alabama – the son of Elizabeth and James Outland and a student at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.
- Thomas Perkins Smith of Homewood, Alabama – the son of Barry and Kyle Smith and a student of Marion Military Institute.
Hollister Caroline Chapman of Mountain Brook, Alabama, received a nomination to the U.S. Military Academy. She is the daughter of Mariah and Terance Chapman and attends Mountain Brook High School.
Maximillian Renfro of Mountain Brook, Alabama, also received a nomination to attend the U.S. Military Academy. He is the son of Ellen and Nathanael Renfro and a student at The Altamont School.
Sarathi Nirav Shah of Birmingham, Alabama, received a nomination to the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is the son of Neha Shah and a student at Jefferson County IB.
Natalie Regan Thorn of Hoover, Alabama, received a nomination to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. She is the daughter of Bobbi and Paul Thorn and attends Hoover High School.
“I am honored to nominate these 13 exceptional students to the United States service academies,” said Senator Shelby. “They have set themselves apart by exhibiting outstanding character and dedication to academic excellence. I have full confidence that these students will continue to represent Jefferson County and the entire state of Alabama with distinction, and I wish them all the best in their future endeavors.”
In order to be considered for a service academy nomination, applicants must be residents of Alabama and complete the required ACT or SAT exams. They must also provide letters of recommendation, a school transcript, a completed medical examination, and a completed application form found on Senator Shelby’s website.
Although Senator Shelby has nominated these students, the academy to which they received a nomination will make the final admission decision.