WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) today announced that he has nominated 41 students from across the state of Alabama, including six from Jefferson County, to attend United States service academies. Service academies include the U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Military Academy, and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
The following high school students from Jefferson County were nominated to the U.S. Naval Academy:
- Collin Michael Armstrong of Vestavia Hills, Alabama – the son of Kellie and Robert Armstrong and a student at Faith Academy.
- Girod Cole, IV, of Birmingham, Alabama – the son of Holly and Girod Cole, III, and a student at Spain Park High School.
- Carl Thomas Graham of Mountain Brook, Alabama – the son of Evelyn and Paul Graham and a student at Mountain Brook High School.
- Jacob Eugene Reiber of Vestavia Hills, Alabama – the son of McKenzie and Mark Reiber and a student at Vestavia Hills High School.
- Hunter Dodd Westerlund of Hoover, Alabama – the son of Jill and Eric Westerlund and a student at Hoover High School.
John Paul Evans of Birmingham, Alabama, received a nomination to the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is the son of Joy and Greg Evans and attends Oak Mountain High School.
“I am proud to nominate these remarkable students to the United States service academies,” said Senator Shelby. “These six students from Jefferson County are among the best and brightest in Alabama as evidenced by their performance both inside and outside the classroom. I am confident that they will go on to accomplish great things. It is my honor to recommend them, and I wish them success in their future endeavors.”
In order to be considered for a service academy nomination, applicants must be residents of Alabama and complete the required ACT or SAT exams. They must also provide letters of recommendation, a school transcript, a completed medical examination, and a completed application form found on Senator Shelby’s website.
Although Senator Shelby nominated these students, the academy to which they received a nomination will make the final admission decision.