Are you having a problem with a federal agency?

One of my most important responsibilities as a United States Senator is assisting Alabamians when they have a problem with a federal agency.  Since coming to Congress, I have been proud to help a great many constituents resolve their difficulties in dealing with federal government bureaucracy.  These problems range from tax issues with the Internal Revenue Service to veteran's benefits, and from Social Security check problems to issues involving Medicare and Medicaid.  Caseworkers who work in my state offices throughout Alabama are there to help you, and I encourage you to take advantage of their assistance.

Remember, I can only help if your problem is with a federal agency.  If you are having problems associated with an Alabama state agency, please contact the Office of the Governor or contact your state representative or state senator.

What is NOT Casework?

Unfortunately, issues regarding civil and criminal legal cases, as well as certain issues involving Alabama State agencies, are not within my jurisdiction. 

Examples of these types are listed below: 

  • Legal Issues
  • Criminal Cases
  • Civil Cases
  • Child Custody Issues
  • Divorce Cases
  • Child Support Services
  • Credit Card Problems
  • Bank Problems
  • Non-Federal Workers Compensation
  • State Revenue Taxes
  • Private Insurance Claims
  • Food Stamp Issues
  • State and County Highways and Roads
  • Public School Issues 
  • Homeowner Insurance Claims
  • Private Industry Complaint
  • Utilities Issues

Getting Started

If you are an Alabama resident and would like to request my assistance with a federal agency, please contact the office closest to you. 

Next, please print and fill out a Casework Authorization Form.  Under the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, I must have formal authorization from the requesting individual before I can seek disclosure of your records.  Fill out the form completely, and mail it to the state office that covers the county in which you reside.  Please note that the form must be signed by the person whose case is in question.

Additionally, please include a detailed letter describing your problem, the government agency involved, and other relevant information to your case.  So that we can assist you, please make sure to include your name, mailing address, daytime phone number, and Social Security number. Once my staff has received this form, they will contact you.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call any of my offices.

Please allow staff a reasonable time for work on the case (six to eight weeks or longer depending on the case inquiry and/or agency backlog).  Please keep calls to a minimum for a status check unless there is a new development that the staff should be alerted to or you have not heard from the office in four to six weeks.

Please note that inquiries regarding military service must be written and signed by the servicemember requesting assistance.  A letter signed by a parent, spouse, or close friend is not sufficient. 

Casework Authorization Forms: